Friday, August 31, 2018

Comic 748 -- How Not to Think Like Vigil


When there's a missile on the way...

http://talesfromthevault.com/thunderstruck/comic748.html

... you work with whatever you've got.

Maybe there are some military-minded folks out there who could tell me one way or another if a single conventional cruise missile fired from a US Navy guided missile cruiser could actually destroy something the size of San Quentin prison. I'm going to take it as a given that it could for the sake of the story, but I'd be curious as to whether I'm fudging this point or whether I've actually got it right.

Anyone know? 

5 comments:

Terranovan said...

I'm not sure about yield, but speed might be a factor.
According to Wikipedia, the Tomahawk missile has a speed of 550 mph, and the Harpoon goes at 530 mph. Arithmetic translates those speeds to 806 ft./sec. and 777 ft./sec., respectively. Danny's demons would have to be seriously fast to intercept them.
The Tomahawk would be less likely, as it has a range in thousands of miles, while the Harpoon's is described as "over-the-horizon" - measured in tens or maybe hundreds of miles. (Depends on where you have the Larson` positioned).

Ketrus said...

I really don't have any expertise in cruise missiles, but I just want to say:

Dang, that was cool. This continues to be my favorite webcomic. Thanks for the update.

Charles said...

Even if the answer is no, it couldn't in real life, you could easily explain it by saying Vigil enhanced the missile with magic.

Deltarno said...

A touch trickier than throwing a bunch of demons into pigs and throwing them off a cliff, but it gets results.

Gary Kleppe said...

In my email this morning:

"Wheelchair-bound woman walks again (shocking story)"

Old news to readers of this series.